- Location: Southeast Asia
Total: 331,210 km2
Land: 310,070 km2
Water: 21,140 km2
- Land Boundaries: 4,639 km
- Coastline: 3,444 km
- Diverse terrain: low, flat delta in South and North; Central Highlands; hilly, mountainous area in far north and northwest.
- The largest area of Vietnam: over 101,000 km2
- Bordering with Guangxi and Yunnan of China to the north; Phongsali, Luang Prabang and Hua Phan of Laos to the west
- Various natural resources make the advantages of extractive
- Large hydropower potential Rivers assist in operation of hydroelectric plants
- The major soils of area are Feralit soil and alluvial soil make the foundation to develop of planting of industrial crops, medicinal plants and subtropical and temperate vegetables.
- Bordering with Laos and Cambodia
- The East of area faces the South China Sea with coastline of 700 km, various seafood and a significant number of deep-water harbors.
- The advantages of tourism and sea trading.
- Boring the Gulf of Thailand to the west, The South China Sea to the east, Cambodia to the north and northwest.
- The advantages of petroleum exploration on the continental shelf; Fishing; Transportation and sea tourism.